West United Youth Soccer League (WUYSL) has adopted the rules of the game as defined by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) with the exceptions and changes contained within.
|U4-5, U6-7||Size 3|
|U8-9, U10-11||Size 4|
|U12-14, U15-18||Size 5|
- WUYSL administered or approved jersey or an approved custom jersey must be worn
- No hats, jewelry, unpadded casts, football or baseball cleats, or metal spikes are allowed
*Goalies may wear a hat if deemed necessary for visibility facing the sun
- Long sleeved undershirts are allowed
- All players are REQUIRED to wear shin guards
- Cleats are not required…tennis shoes may be worn
- Late arriving players need to have their equipment inspected before playing by an assistant referee at the next stoppage of play
Number of Players
|U4-5, U6-7||4v4; No goalies||3 minimum|
|U8-9, U10-11||9v9||6 minimum|
|U12-14, U15-18 (full)||11v11||7 minimum|
|U12-14, U15-18 (small)||6v6||4 minimum|
Best effort should be given that all players should play equal time of the match regardless of skill level or practice attendance.
Length of Match
|U4-5||10 minute quarters||3 minute breaks||5 minute halftime|
|U6-7||12 minute quarters||3 minute breaks||5 minute halftime|
|U8-9||25 minute halves||5 minute halftime|
|U10-11, U12-14||30 minute halves||5 minute halftime|
|U15-18||35 minute halves||5 minute halftime|
|U4-5, U6-7||Coaches from each team will act as referees|
|U8-9 & Up||A referee and two assistant referees will be provided|
|U4-5, U6-7, U8-9||No|
|U10-11, U12-14, U15-18||Yes|
Heading the Ball
In order to reduce chances of concussions, heading is only allowed starting in the U12-14 and older divisions. For younger ages, heading the ball will result in an indirect kick for the opposing team for dangerous play.
For the safety of our players, slide tackling is not allowed in any age group. A slide tackle involving a player of the opposite team will result in an automatic yellow card. To discourage this further, playing the ball from on the ground is also not allowed and will result in an indirect kick for the opposing team for dangerous play. The only exception to this rule is that goalies may slide within the penalty area to try to block an attempt at goal. A goalie may play the ball while on the ground.
High kicks in the immediate vicinity of other players will result in an indirect kick for dangerous play regardless of if contact was made.
Yellow and Red Cards
Cards are only given in the U12-14 and older divisions. Offenses worthy of a card include but are not limited to:
- Slide tackles
- Wreckless or excessive fouls
- Persistent infringement
- Denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity
Players/coaches given a red card or misbehaving spectators are asked to leave the field immediately. Play will not resume until they do. If they refuse, the game will result in a forfeit. A red card requires a suspension of 1 game beyond the game in which it was given and egregious activity may result in further suspension. These decisions are made at the sole discretion of the WUYSL officials.
Substitutions are only made with the refs permission. WUYSL has decided to follow the high school rules for when a substitution may be made with one exception (corner kicks). For U8-9, U10-11, U12-14, U15-18, substitutions are allowed at the following stoppages of play:
- Goal kicks
- Quarter break
- Water breaks
- Yellow carded players (cool down if necessary)
- Throw-ins – Only when you have possession or if the other team makes a substitution (This is to give advantage to the team taking the throw and allow for a quick restart of play)
*For U4-5 and U6-7, substitutions may be made at any stoppage of play.
- Coaches, substitutes, and spectators are to refer to the schedule for where they should locate
- Coaches, substitutes, and spectators are to remain at least 3 feet from the sideline
- No one is allowed behind the goal with the exception of an assistant goalie coach at the U8-9 level. Spectators may use the top of the west hill if they are not deemed to be a distraction by the referee or WUYSL officials.
- Penalties are taken from 12 yards on the large field or 10 yards on the small fields
- Players will remain 10 yards behind the penalty spot even when the field is not marked
- Players will remain 5 yards away from the center spot where not marked to allow the other team space for a kickoff
In order to promote healthy competition and a fun atmosphere during a lopsided game, WUYSL has adopted a mercy rule. This rule comes into effect when a team reaches a 3 goal lead at which time the losing team will add one player. With an additional 3 goal lead (6 total), the winning team will remove a player from play. This pattern continues with each additional 3 goal increment until either the minimum number of players is exceeded or the losing team is able to eliminate a 3 goal increment. If a 3 goal increment is eliminated, the pattern is reversed in the same order it was implemented. If there are no players available to add, the winning team removes a player in place of the losing team adding a player. If the minimum number of players is exceeded, teams will be mixed at the referee’s discretion and play out the remaining time. For example, where both teams have enough players: